Monday, December 3, 2012

Run Forrest Run!






It’s always funny to me what sticks to the recesses of the memory.  Some of the most memorable moments of my life have been ordinary, humdrum experiences, yet I took something away from them, which made them stand out moments for me.  Years ago, I played a question game with my ex husband, who loved conundrums, riddles and things of that nature.  I only remember one of the questions:  Would you rather be incredibly intelligent (like the smartest person in the world), or would you rather be a simpleton like Forrest Gump.  I preferred to be like Forrest, Forrest Gump.  In my rather humble opinion, Forrest was not stupid.  He was just simple, and to be honest, he was actually quite happy—unlike most of the other people in his life.  As I’ve grown, I’ve come to realize that life works best when we allow things to be simple.  The more intelligent we become, the more we tend to complicate things.  That question has remained in my mind ever since.  So when one of my favorite movies, which just happens to be Forrest Gump, began playing on HBO about a month ago, I couldn’t help but to watch it and become reminded of that question yet again.  This time around, I decided to change the question up a little, would I rather have a relationship with a man who is super intelligent, or would I rather have a man like Forrest Gump.  To be honest, the older I get, when I think about the man that I would want to be in relations with, Forrest kind of looks like that man.  He was sweet, honest, kind, honorable, loyal, understanding, strong, supportive, nurturing, and hell he was even rich.  And to be even more honest, in my opinion, he was far from stupid.  I’ve asked myself the question, why didn’t I want a man like Forrest before? 

My initial answer was that I was young.  As we all know, youth is for wasting time, opportunities, and being as dumb as you can possibly be.  Sarcasm aside, we do spend a great deal of our youths working to prove this to be true.  However, at a closer glance, I have to be honest with myself.  I wasn’t that different from Jenny.  Jenny loved Forrest.  Her refusal to be with Forrest had nothing to do with him, but everything to do with her.  Jenny was damaged.  Years of suffering abuse at the hands of her father left her empty, scared, and damaged.  Forrest was everything she didn’t believe she deserved.  His unconditional love for her scared her.  And she could justify things by blaming Forrest’s intelligence, or his naivete.  After all, any smart man would know better than to want to love her and treat her well.  Just look at all the men she chose to be with throughout the movie.  But in fairness to Jenny, I haven’t been much different.  I chose men who deep down I knew wouldn’t—and who ultimately didn’t treat me well.  I allowed myself to be abused and mistreated by the men I chose and I passed on some good ones.  I may have justified things like Jenny.  I believe some of my pitiful justifications included:  He just doesn’t do ‘It’ for me; He’s too nice; We’re too different.  But the truth of the matter is that there was something in me that recognized that those men would have loved me and loved me with honor.  I was not ready for that.  I didn’t believe I deserved that.  I was damaged and scared. 

And to be even more honest, that damaged little girl within me had me scared of a lot of things (not just men).  I was scared to ask for help because I just might have received it.  I was scared to accept a compliment because I didn’t think I deserved it.  I was just scared for good things to happen to me.  And all because I didn’t think I deserved it.  I recognize now that mindset has probably kept a lot of the things I’ve claimed I’ve wanted in my life at bay.  And it’s easy to sit back and wallow in pity and lament over “lost” opportunities, but I don’t see it that way.  I’m thankful for that little damaged scared girl.  Her inability to accept good things allowed for the both of us to face her fears and see that they could indeed be overcome.  Without facing them, I wouldn’t know how deserving I am of great things.  I wouldn’t know that I’m loveable and I wouldn’t know how to love myself.  That scared little girl taught me to live more Forrest and be the simpleton who helped make great things happen and in turn have great things happen to.  And while I’m well aware that it’s a fictional movie, I choose to hold on to the belief that hey, it could happen.  So thanks to my inner Jenny, The Forrest in me is now just running. 

What say you?  Have you been like Jenny?  And please understand that this really doesn't have to be limited to romantic relationships?  What good things have you allowed to pass you by because you didn't think you deserved them?  I'd love to start a dialogue.

2 comments:

  1. Woooooow! Girl you ALWAYS hit me with these blogs. MY GOD! I needed to read this today, my best friend and I were just having a conversation about this today.

    My past abusive relationship has caused me to close up to everyone. 19 months ago my ex was arrested for assaulting me; I was only a week away from delivery with my baby boy. Since he has been gone I met someone else who is very nice to me and my two boys but I feel strange around him because sometimes I don’t understand why he treats me the way he treats me. I know my feelings are that I don't deserve to be treated like this because I am now damaged goods, however, I am still healing and I know it’s not wise to get close to anyone right now because I don’t want to hurt anyone, like I was hurt. I go to therapy every week and she is helping me see how damaged and broken my ex caused me to be, how my childhood affected me and how my inability to allow another person to get close to me is caused by my feelings of shame, worthlessness and disgust towards myself for not being strong enough to defend my own honor.
    Sad to say, but it's almost easy for me to get with a man who is emotionally unavailable again so that I can have that excuse of not being loved- because not being loved is something I am used to. As crazy as it sounds, the only reason why people are drawn to dysfunction is because they are used to it, they've built up that tolerance and like me, they settle with the fact that this is life. Most people like myself, believe that there is NO possible way that “life” could be better than this because of who we are and what we’ve become, it’s sorta like a feeling that we don’t deserve happiness.

    The relationship between Jenny and Forrest reminds of the song "She will be loved" by Maroon5. That song describes a girl who is broken, who seeks out love in the all the wrong places but she has this one guy who is there for her and picks her up every time she falls.

    Just as you said, Forrest was not dumb at all; he lived life to the fullest because he lived life uncomplicated. Many people miss the point of movie because they are over-analyzing his seemingly “mediocre” life and underestimating his intelligence.

    However, when we start to grow, we start to move all of the boxes of the bullshit that we thought mattered out of the way and we start to see much clearer. Soon enough we start experiencing the simplicity of happiness and in the end find our self-worth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You my dear are so right! And you are also such a warrior! My goodness the things you have shared with me through your comments just leave me in awe of you. After all of that, you are still here, still standing, still learning, and willing. That says so much! And I wholeheartedly relate. I may not have been physically abused, but I was beat the hell up emotionally by people and like you said, I developed a tolerance for it so it's what I know. Even now, I have to catch myself because if I see someone who I may be drawn to, that little nagging voice in my head will say "Oh he wouldn't be interested in someone like you". Now don't ask me what that even means because I don't know, but it's the type of dysfunctional dialogue I've had with myself for so long that it's habit. Now I know better than to listen to that voice. I think it's just an unfortunate byproduct of living this human life. We inherit this crazy mindset that doesn't allow for us to see ourselves as deserving and worthy. But you're right when you say as we mature, we start to move through all the bullshit. As someone who has been moving through it for a few years now, I can safely say that it's a great process and once you get through the murky waters, the clarity just makes you appreciate yourself so much. Much love to you!

    ReplyDelete