Friday, June 15, 2012

I Love You, But Damn You Make Me Sick!



Happy Happy Friday!  I've been in a little bit of a funk this week.  I've had insomnia for 3 weeks and I think the fact that Sunday is Father's Day has been weighing on me.  When I have managed to get some sleep, I've had some of the most disturbing dreams I've ever had.  All of that funk-i-ness I've been feeling has had me being quite snippy--with others and myself.  I've been especially snippy with my baby girl.  And I don't mean to be, it's just my tiredness and sadness has me unable to give the compassion and patience that I am usually able to give to her.  So it got me to thinking about how we feel about the people we love.  If you know me (and now if you don't), you know that my daughter is the love of my life.  But she can pinch that very last nerve of mine like nobody else!  The only person who surpassed her ability was my father.  And that doesn't mean I don't love her, or that I didn't love him.  I actually like that she does.  It lets me know I'm not a robot and I'm not some emotionally crippled human being who doesn't know how to express the full spectrum of my feelings.  I love the scene in "Grown Ups" where Joyce Van Patten, who plays Gloria, says something to the effect of "There's a lot of hostility that comes with love".  And she is so right.  I  mean we even treat ourselves--the ones we should love the most--hostile.  So why would we expect that we wouldn't do the same to the others we love?  The love is still there, but all great love brings up some of the other stuff and that's good.  It means we're growing.  Whenever there is growth, all that other garbage tends to come up for us so we can toss it.  I like that I get the chance to do some soul cleaning. Hope you do too. Have a fantastic weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment