Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Do As I Say and Not as I . . . Do?





I can't afford to take for granted that I am this precious little woman's primary teacher.



So I’m watching TV Friday night, and I come across this show on the OWN network called “My Mom is Obsessed”**.  Each episode profiles two different families where the mothers are obsessed with a particular activity (partying, dating younger men, bodybuilding, plastic surgery, shopping, etc.) to the point where they are neglecting their children.  I watched two episodes and vowed I can never watch another one.  I will seriously work myself into cardiac arrest if I continue to watch this foolery.  One mother had two young daughters at home but was so obsessed with going out that she made the oldest (who was only 14) take care of everything.  They have to see a therapist, so when the therapist asked the mother how she expected her daughter to take care of the home, her younger sister, AND go to school, the mother replied, “They’re both home schooled.” As if that made her daughter’s load easier.  This must have been news to the therapist who responded by asking “Oh really, by whom?” to which the mom responded, “Oh they’re both self taught.”  O__O Oh really?!  How and where dey do dat at?!  I’m usually really good at being able o extend sympathy to others, but in the case of these women, I just have an extremely hard time doing just that.  I’m still trying to figure out where in DE HAYLE the OWN network found all these fools!  

Look, all judgment aside, I understand how difficult the job of motherhood is.  I am a proud Mommy (to a beautiful little girl).  If you know me, you know she is the love of my life.  If you just meet me, it won't be hard for you to figure that out.  I read a quote a few years back from Lady O herself, Oprah Winfrey, regarding motherhood.  She states “I believe the choice to become a mother is the choice to become one of the greatest spiritual teachers there is.”  Now that I’m a mother, I can say with complete certainty that I agree with that statement.  I always tell people that becoming a mother has been one of the most humbling experiences of my life.  First of all, the magic and beauty that one experiences when carrying a child is just indescribable.  And don’t get me wrong, it’s not all a bed of roses (trust me, having morning sickness throughout my entire first trimester was certainly no cakewalk), but I remained in awe of what was going on with me in bringing my baby into the world.  Secondly, my daughter forced me into early retirement.  Thanks to her, I retired the cape and S on my chest that I so proudly wore--and without even realizing I had been wearing it for so long.  I recognized very early on that I was a vessel, which brought forth another human being into the world.  A human being with her own personality set of likes and dislikes, and her very own destiny to fulfill.  I’m really glad that I recognized that early on because I haven’t had the control issues that I experienced (and still do) with the adults in my life.  And because I understand that my job is to be a spiritual teacher to her,

I really do take my role as a mother very seriously.  I understand that a lot of who my daughter becomes can possibly be traced back to me.  Whether she wants to be or not, she may become a lot like me.  It is my intent to be as transparent and honest as possible with my daughter.  The old adage of “Do as I say not what I do” that so many who walked before me subscribed to will not work for me and my house.  I don’t want to give my daughter the false impression that I’m infallible simply because I happened to arrive on this plane before she did.  I’m human and I make mistakes and I’m more than ok with that.  And more than that, I want her to be ok with that as well.  So can you understand why I take issue with trying to teach her simply by telling and then going out to do the complete opposite without explanation?   No offense to those who have walked that path and believe in it, but I think that’s completely hypocritical and I want to live a life of integrity—for myself and for my child.  Besides, it never works.  Ever.  All it does is make your children resent you.  Once children become of age, they begin to judge the adults in their life anyway.  So I may as well walk with integrity before my child to lessen the judgment.  

Here’s a prime example of why this method fails to work.  It happened within my own family.  A certain adult in my family who was once extremely well regarded went through a really difficult time.  Let’s call her Marsha*.  Everyone was extremely sympathetic to her during that time because we could only imagine what she must have been going through.  However, in her grief, she began to go a little to the left.  She started carrying on with a very close friend of the family who also happened to be married (We were all close to his entire family.  We’d gathered at their home and vice versa, watched their children grow up, the whole shebang).  I’ll spare all the details, but needless to say that she got more than a bit carried away and her fling or whatever it was became quite noticeable.  It even became noticeable to a young lady in our family—her godchild to be exact.  At the time, the young lady, who we’ll call Meagan*, was about 16 years old.  She’d witnessed some flirtatious energy going on between the two of them and later came to me and asked quite casually at that, ‘Hey what’s going on with Auntie Marsha and Richard?” I should also mention that quite a few other people on several separate occasions also asked me what was going on because as I said, things were becoming evident.  Now I didn’t tell Meagan anything at all.  However, I did call up Marsha and tell her she needed to watch herself because things were getting obvious to folks.  I didn’t mention names, but I tried to lovingly warn her.  My thinking was that if people—even a 16 year-old--were starting to notice, Richard’s wife was probably noticing things as well.  So, Marsha went on a rampage and through a little bit of deductive reasoning, concluded that Meagan must have been a person who said something.  She then proceeded to call her godchild and curse her out.  She said several things, amongst those were “I’m a grown @$$ woman and you have not business talking about me and what I do.”  Now, some of you probably agree with that, but here’s where I felt Marsha lost her credibility.  First of all, Marsha threw out quite a few names with me, yet her goddaughter was the only person she bothered to call and confront.  Secondly, had she not been carrying on with dude on the phone in front of Meagan, it wouldn’t have been noticeable to her.  And finally, I recalled Marsha telling me about a similar experience she had when she was that age.  At 16, she found out her mom was cheating on her dad.  According to her story, she didn’t speak to her mom for over a month.  When I relayed that to Marsha, her response was “But this is different.  I’m not her mother!”  Now some of you are probably still in agreement, but here is where I felt Marsha lost credibility.  Marsha has a thing for her nieces, nephews or any other child she’s close to telling her that she’s not their mother.  I’ve witnessed her firsthand threaten to end lives for that because as she has declared, “I’m the next best thing to your mother!” So in my humble opinion, it was completely hypocritical on her part.  And to add further salt to her wound, just a year before, Marsha roasted a young Meagan for liking and contemplating dating a boy who she knew had a girlfriend. Marsha went on and on about how disrespectful that would be and the dangers of being a sidepiece.  So you can only imagine how a young Meagan felt not only by learning that Marsha was engaging in something even more extreme just a short while later, AND that it was with a close family friend whom we all knew. 

Now don’t get me wrong.  I completely understand that Marsha was acting out of guilt.  But the issue that I saw happening was that she’d lost the trust of her godchild.  To this day, the relationship is not the same.  Meagan doesn’t respect her nor does she trust her.  Marsha never admitted her fault before anyone and she never actually apologized for at least cursing out Meagan.  I think too often, adults tend to allow their pride to interfere with their relationships with the children in their lives.  I’m all for respecting your elders, but children are not some brainless drones we bring into the world without any knowledge whatsoever.  Yet, it seems that sometimes adults tend to think that children don’t have a right to possess any knowing of their own.  And that’s just not how I want to treat my daughter.  I want her to trust herself and I recognize that I play a huge part in that.  If I undermine her simply because she happens to catch on the not so secret secret that I’m a mere mortal, what good can really come of it? 

The most beautiful thing I have recognized through my journey in motherhood is that my daughter is a beautiful conduit for my life’s lessons.  I have learned so much about life and myself just by raising this precious, beautiful little woman.  She’s only y 5 years old, and my lessons have been many.  In my oh so humble opinion, the best mothers (parents, guardians, god mothers/fathers, aunts, uncles, etc.) are the ones who understand that there is just as much that their child can teach them as they can teach the child (sometimes more).  I think teaching from the “I am the adult so I’m better/smarter/greater than you” mindset is just a mask of insecurity.  You’re using the child to make you feel better about yourself and that only creates feelings of insecurity in the child, thereby perpetuating that lineage of dysfunctional thinking and behavior.  So what say you?  Do you still believe in the do as I say, not as I do framework?  Or do you believe in something else?  Why or why not?  


*By the way, in case you hadn't realized, names have been changed to protect the innocent, but more so the guilty* 

**My Mom is Obsessed airs on OWN Friday nights 9/8c**

No comments:

Post a Comment