Monday, August 6, 2012

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk . . . The Guilt Syndrome


 The difference between guilt and shame is very clear—in theory. We feel guilty for what we do. We feel shame for what we are.
~Lewis B. Smedes


I can’t believe that it’s already August!  It feels like I was just ringing in the New Year, and now I’m prepping to get things ready for my baby’s first day of Kindergarten.  Wow!  That means 2013 is not far behind.  And while I’m not trying to get far ahead of myself (or you guys for that matter), I do want to keep that in mind.  I’ve never been a person to focus on New Year resolutions, or wait until the 1st of the month to begin a new routine.  I am a firm believer in the present.  There is no better time than the present to start something new, change your mind, learn something new, or whatever it is that you wish to do.  You can start at this exact moment.  So in my mind that means that it’s a perfect time to ditch the people, things, ideas, baggage, etc. that no longer serve you, and guilt is one such thing.  I’m constantly meeting, seeing, hearing, or talking to people who are saddled with guilt and it really saddens me.  Guilt is such a toxic emotion.  It’s toxic and it’s a waste. 

Someone I know was telling me about a close loved one who warned her about firsts, so that when she gets married, things will be “special” because there will be firsts she shares with her husband.  This lovely woman had a lot of guilt about getting married because she felt like there was no reason her now husband should want to marry her.  She had children, so clearly she wasn’t a virgin and she wouldn’t be able to share in having her first child with her husband.  And I should mention that the husband did not share in this belief.  I was so saddened upon hearing that.  I don’t know the woman personally, but I’ve heard nothing but wonderful things about her and to think that she was saddled with so much guilt instead of pure joy at the fact that she’d found a good, loving man who loved her and her children just brought my spirit down.  I’ve been told she has since been relieved of her guilt. But I’m saddened by all the time she spent feeling guilty instead of enjoying the happiness that she deserved.

That’s how guilt operates.  It leaves you unable to see any good or redeeming qualities in yourself.  It leaves you feeling undeserving of good things.  You feel like you should be punished, as if others should hate you.  When you are overcome with guilt, you are not able to receive the goodness that Life wants to bring you.  And no one has to punish you because you’re punishing yourself.  And it’s such a waste because the simple thing to do is forgive yourself for whatever infraction you feel you’ve caused.  When you’re in guilt mode, you don’t understand how simple it is to admit your offense, forgive yourself, and move forward.  And I’m stressing forgiving yourself because we’re really the only ones with the power to relieve ourselves of guilt.  If I wrong another, I can apologize and truly want their forgiveness, but should they choose to withhold forgiveness, that can leave me stuck and powerless because I’ve essentially given them power.  But if I forgive myself, I can be remorseful and wish for their forgiveness without hinging my entire self worth on someone else.  The thing about it is, there is no true rhyme or reason for guilt.  It doesn’t even matter what the offense is.  Some people feel guilty over choices they’ve made.  Some people feel guilty over choices others have made (like a parent feeling guilt over their child's actions).  Some people feel guilty for being a victim of some one else.  You can feel guilty over something that happened years ago, or something that hasn’t even happened yet.  Some feel guilty over their thoughts.  Guilt makes you think you’re a monster when guilt is really the monster that robs you of joy—and deserved joy at that because that’s really what we’re here for.


I know a little something about guilt.  When I was 16, I lost my virginity.  And I didn’t lose it because I wanted to.  I just failed to speak up and say I didn’t want to have sex.  Shortly after, I became pregnant.  I opted to have an abortion, but I never told my parents.  A few days after my abortion, my mother found my envelope of pills I was given to aid in my recovery. She’s a nurse so she knew full well what they were.  Instead of telling the truth, I lied and said they belonged to my then best friend.  I cannot tell you how much grief I felt!  I felt guilt because I was first a fornicator, AND THEN I had the nerve to become an unwed, pregnant teenager.  THEN I committed murder by killing my baby, AND cowardly lied and put the entire offense against my best friend.  I was unable to sleep for months.  When I did, I had the same dreams; it was the end of the world, Jesus condemned me to hell and I burned.  I confessed to my best friend who immediately forgave me.  She was more hurt that I didn’t tell her and endured the whole thing alone.  But I never told my parents.  I couldn’t’ bring myself to do that.  Instead, I told myself that I should just be punished.  So I sought out relationships with men who treated me terribly because I didn’t believe I was worthy of anything more.  I didn’t even believe that I deserved to become a mother.  I secretly thought I would never be able to bear children again.  I didn’t forgive myself until I was 27 years old.  I carried that burden around for over 10 years.  And the release of the guilt brought forth a lightness that I hadn’t even realized existed!  I even became pregnant with my healthy baby girl a year later.  Now that I think of it, I really think that was the beginning of the end of my marriage.  Once I forgave myself and released that guilt, I started thinking that perhaps I did deserve to be treated better than I had been by husband.  His behavior was no longer passable for me.  I couldn’t keep making excuses for him.  I now know it was because I was learning to forgive and love myself and stop punishing myself.  It took me over 10 years to get that and I really hope it doesn’t take any one else that long.  Then I fell in danger of having guilt over having taken so long to release that guilt.  But I caught myself before I fell into another 10-year trap. 

I now understand that there are no “good” or “bad” choices; there are only choices.  Each choice comes with a lesson, and it is up to us to learn the lesson and move forward.  But we human beings are unlike other creatures in that we believe in punishment.  I’m so glad I was able to forgive myself and I hope that others are able to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment